Vacancy for ACCA at FCDO
Job Title : Head of Finance
Number of Vacancy : 1
Qualification : ACCA/CA Professional Certification
Experience : 5 – 7 yrs
Job Description (Roles and Responsibilities)
Main purpose of job
The Head of Finance (HoF) role is essential to the effective working of the finance function and the delivery of quality programme management/ corporate service in BEK. Head of Finance works as part of the Operations team to deliver assurance on financial performance, providing challenge, advice, and support to ensure teams contribute to Departmental objectives. Head of Finance also works with internal and external partners, including stakeholders in other professions, to ensure excellence in financial performance and financial capability in the Embassy. This includes working with Sr Management, Team Leaders, Corporate services team, programme team and finance colleagues across the organisation to ensure effective value for money and oversight in the use of public funds.Head of Finance supports programme teams and corporate services teams in delivering programme and corporate activities effectively. This includes providing clear advice and being able to identify and outline technical finance solutions as required. They will provide regular, robust financial information, detailed analysis, and business insight to His Majesty’s Ambassador/ Development Director/ Dy Head of Mission/ Group Heads/ Operations Team Leader/ Team Leaders and Finance Business partners to support effective planning, decision making and capacity building. The successful candidate will lead the finance team and report to Operations and ACE Team Leader.
Roles and responsibilities / what will the jobholder be expected to achieve?
- Financial leadership across the organisation, leading and managing Overseas Development Assistance and Operations budgets; ensuring effective financial planning and management across the British Embassy Kathmandu;
- Building information into effective reporting (MI) using technical knowledge, standards and enabling the business to be able to make decisions on the reports produced.
- Accountable for the operation and continuous improvement of key finance processes to generate quality timely and accurate performance reports, quarterly/ monthly report (to corporate board and delivery board), analysis and recommendations to facilitate effective decision making.
- Conduct challenge meetings with Senior local budget holder/ Senior Responsible Officer/ Programme Responsible Officer / Corporate team and promote accountability and Value for Money, better forecasting, budget management and variance analysis of Overseas Development Assistance and operational budget.
- Complete corporate finance returns such as Resource Allocation Round submissions, interim and year end accounting returns, refresh of the operational plan, support in country business planning from finance perspective, monthly returns, and local implementations of corporate initiatives/ policies.
- Prepare and support local scenario-based forecasts (Overseas Development Assistance and Operational budget) and programming, considering risk probability and contingency planning and support management of pipeline and pipeline budgets in year and across future years.
- Contribute maintenance and strengthening of the internal control environment to mitigate risks, by ensuring compliance with key finance processes, highlighting control weaknesses identified and making associated recommendations for improvement. Support internal and external audits and delivery of associated recommendations relating to finance and control.
- Support Senior Responsible Officer/ Programme Responsible Officer/ Programme Managers and advisors on financial aspects of programme design (including risk mitigation, counter fraud, corruption, and leakage), implementation, planning and forecasting, monitoring, reporting and delivery of results. Develop and support relationships with third parties and provide local support in the alignment of results and resources.
- Provide basic financial support to Commercial Advisors/ Manager, e.g. on contract negotiations and delivery chain analysis.
- Provide financial input and contribution to enhance business case quality through advice and challenge, both locally at the design stage and through quality assurance work undertaken as an active member of the finance cadre/ community.
- Improve the standards of financial awareness and financial management locally, for example by providing support in undertaking due diligence and fiduciary risk assessment. d80TkD8 DsFv2t
- Apply professional judgement in interpreting management information, partner evidence and accounting standards and explain this to non – finance staff.
- Provide finance/budget input to pay and work force related commissions.
- Provide input to mitigate finance risk across British Embassy Kathmandu.
- Line management responsibility for Finance Manager and quality assurer for Finance support officer. Responsible for developing Finance team capability to deliver operational finance duties and support strengthened financial management locally.
- Fraud Laision officer (around 10% role) for the post including ensuring effective management of fraud risk, contribute to development/ update of fraud risk action plan, coordinate with UK fraud and investigating team.
Key behaviours required for the job: Behaviour 1: Leadership Behaviour 2: Communicating and influencingBehaviour 3: Seeing the big picture Behaviour 4: Working together
Essential qualifications, skills and experience
Essential on arrival:
- Bachelors in finance or business or equivalent field.
- Extensive Financial Management experience (5 – 7 yrs)
- Strong understanding of development assistance in Nepal
- Ability to analyse, manage and present complex financial information clearly both verbally and in writing to support organisational decision-making.
- The job holder must understand different financial planning and budgeting techniques and their application in different contexts.
- Advanced practical skills in one or more area of management accounting and cost analysis, investment finance, treasury management, planning and budgeting and financial accounting, and who can set and interpret financial policy in these areas and combining this with sound business knowledge, is able to provide advice, guidance and leadership to others.
- Good leadership and management experience, including working across teams. A proactive approach and a focus on continuous improvement of self and service, with an appetite to work with others to simplify processes and improve efficiency.
Desirable qualifications, skills and experience 1
- Part Qualified with CCAB, CIMA or equivalent; or working towards qualification; with financial experience over an extended period of time.
- ODA financial management experience